Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Latebloomer Athletes May Have Advantage




I went in for my regular maintenance at Duke Chiropractic with Dr. Duggan today. I told him about my 40plusRocks blog and he thought it was a great idea. I told him about my recent post re: Staying Active Past 40. He said that often times, his latebloomer athlete clients have an advantage vs. those who have been athletes all their lives. They do not have the wear and tear.

Tell me about it. I have frequent neck and back trouble due to being a competitive cheerleader from 5th to 12th grade. Plus doing team sports like soccer, softball, volleyball, and basketball since grade school. I cannot run long distance at all since the bouncing hurts my neck (had a bad fall doing a backflip off a pyramid and landed on the back of my head). This is what brings me to Duke Chiropractic every couple of months, otherwise I get a huge migrain headache. So, those of you who have not been historically active, have an advantage over those who overdid it too soon.

After seeing Dr. Duggan, I ran into Dr. Duke in the reception area. He competes in triathlons and just started to at age 40. He is now 47 and looks 35. He said he was a bit depressed about turning 40 and decided to challenge himself by training for a triathlon. Dr. Duke has a beautiful wife and two sons with a thriving business so it was news to me that he would be unhappy about anything in his life. I will be posting interviews with Dr. Duke and Dr. Duggan soon re: training and maintenance of your temple past the age of 40. Until then, if you want to check out their site... here it is http://dukechironyc.com. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment